Wednesday, February 1, 2012

2011 7DRL re-retrospective

I'm really looking forward to the 2012 7DRL next month and I've got a lot of ideas I want to try out. I rechecked the scores I got for my entry last year to see when I should focus this time. I'm quite happy with the scores for my 2011 entry but I think I can do better this time.

Here's what my 2011 entry Twelve Hours got:

Completeness: Bug free, polished game with no features that feel like they are missing.
2.67 - My highest score. I've got a much better idea of what I want this time, some ways of reducing memory and CPU usage, and some time set aside to add polish so I expect to get a 2.67 or 3.00 this time.

Aesthetics: Good looking, excellent controls and UI.
2.33 - A pretty good score; probably from the clean UI, few commands, and standard ASCII visuals. Less garish colors and a few small animations should help improve the aesthetics.

Fun: If you try any 7DRLs, try this one.
2.33 - One reviewer said: "Would be nice to have better control over your companions."Yup. I want to avoid having total control but I agree that more influence and interaction with others could add much more fun. Adding some humor and a more heroic feel won't hurt either. A 3.00 would be nearly impossible but I hope I could get a 2.67.

Innovation: Brings something fundamentally new to roguelikes.
2.00 - Reviewer: "Survive timer, goal other than finding the powerful artifact, inventory-less." My lowest score. I don't know about "fundamentally new" but I've got a few new ideas up my sleeve this year....

Scope: Beyond what you think could have been done in seven days.
2.33 - Fair enough. I was unfocused for the first few days so it was less than 7 days of useful work. I've got a long list of ideas in my head this time so I hope to have much more in the game this year.

Roguelike: 3 means Roguelike, 2 means Roguelike-like, 1 means Not Roguelike.
2.67 - "misses some points for tactical polish." Agreed. I've got some ideas and expect a 3.00 this time.

Average
2.39 - Not a bad score - not bad at all. I did better than I thought I would but this year I'd like at least a 2.50. By looking at last year's entries, this seems to be a very difficult and rare thing. On the other hand, if one reviewer had given me one more point my average would have been 2.59 so I think 2.50 is reasonable for 2012.


I think most of my posts for February and March will be about roguelikes. Ideas, implementations, and random musings and rants.

No comments:

Post a Comment